Ralph M. Grant
Brother Grant was born in 1868, graduated from Hartford High School, graduated from Wesleyan University in 1892 and in 1894, was admitted to the bar, opening his office in Hartford and began a career that saw him honored for a lifetime by his fellow townspeople of South Windsor. He was a State Senator, Prosecutor, Town Court Judge, Judge of Probate, Town Clerk and Town Treasurer.
Brother Grant became interested in the Sons of Veterans in Hartford, Comm., where he joined Steadman Camp and soon afterward, became its Commander. He became eminently distinguished in the Order and attracted to its membership many prominent citizens. He became Department Commander and in 1912 at St. Louis, was elected Commander-in-Chief, the first to hold that office from Connecticut. He presided at Chattanooga, Tenn., at a time when the membership of the Sons was upwards of 50,000.
His last attendance at a National Encampment was at Boston in 1950.
Brother Grant was a member of the Masonic Order for over 50 years, and a life member of the Congregational Church, and a deacon in the same.
Always a gentleman, genial, cordial and loyal, he attracted by his personality a host of friends.
He died on October 27, 1953. He was survived by his wife, Lillian, two sons and four daughters.
From an obit written by PCinC Charles F. Sherman in the January-February 1954 Banner.