Home | Roster | Pets for Vets® | News/Events | Shop | History | PNP's | Membership | Archives | Bugle Call | Forms
LADIES OF THE GRAND ARMY
OF THE REPUBLIC
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Gettysburg Presbyterian Church
___________________________________________________________________________________________


Gettysburg Presbyterian Church began its work in 1740 in a log structure situated three miles west of town, at the present site known as Black’s Graveyard. The congregation moved to the present location in 1842. The original building consisted only of a sanctuary. During and immediately following the Battle of Gettysburg, the church along with many other public buildings was converted into a temporary hospital.

On November 19, 1863, four months after the battle, President Lincoln came to Gettysburg to take part in the dedication of the National Cemetery. At 5PM, following the morning ceremonies at which he delivered the Gettysburg Address, President Lincoln attended a patriotic meeting in this church. He was accompanied by John Burns, a local patriot. The original pew is marked with a bronze plaque. The present church building was erected in 1963, reusing the original rafters and artifacts from the building that was replaced.

On February 1, 1963, President and Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower became members of the church. The pew President Eisenhower occupied was so marked with a plaque. The church also has an Eisenhower Lounge containing prints of paintings and memorabilia of the late President.

The Gettysburg Presbyterian Church was selected for a special citation as American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 94 and is registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia.


© Copyright since 2011, Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic. All Rights Reserved. National Webmaster: Robert Rock