Photos from the Past
Return to SUVCW Home Page
William H. Dougall
William H. Dougall was a resident of Naugatuck, Connecticut when he enlisted on August 23, 1861 as a Private into the 6th Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. He and is unit were mustered into federal service on September 4, 1861. On July 18, 1863, he was wounded in the battle of Fort Wagner, South Carolina from which he lost his right arm. He was discharged due to this wound on November 16, 1863. He learned to write again under direction of William Oland Bourne who held left-handed penmanship contests for Veterans with lost arms. He re-enter the service as a United States Military Telegraph Operator Contractor and before the war was over was in charge of a military line from Nashville, Tennessee leading out into a guerilla-infected district. Following the war, he served for over 25 years as a Trial Magistrate in New Preston, Connecticut. He also served in the 1909 - 1910 Connecticut Legislature. He was a member of the Upton Post #14 of the Grand Army of the Republic in New Milford, Connecticut, where he served as Post Commander. Photograph and information submitted by William H. Dougall's great great granddaugher, Esther Doty.
William H. Dougall (prior to being wounded) ------ William H. Dougall (after the War)