Photos from the Past
Return to SUVCW Home Page
The eagle was caught in 1861, when about two months old, by an Indian named A-ge-mah-we-zhig, or Chief-sky, a son of Ah-mouse, of a tribe of the Chippewa Indians, was sold to Mr. Daniel McCann for a bushel of corn and presented, by Mr. Jeffries, to a company organizing for the 8th regiment Wisconsin Voluntter Infantry. The eagle, named after Abraham Lincoln, was duly sworn into the United States service by placing around his neck red white and blue ribbons and on his breast, a rosette of the same colors. It followed this regiment during the vicissitudes of a three years' service in the field, always at the front and never witnessing defeat.
The photograph was taken from a picture painted and presented to the South Dakota's Soldiers' Home by Mrs. Lizzie A. Davis. It and the information was submitted by Sandra Boudrou.