Sons of Union Veterans of The Civil War
Department of New York
Admiral John L. Worden Camp 150

Repairing General William H. Morris' Crypt
Cold Spring, NY

hr.gif (1635 bytes)


William Hopkins Morris

Morris.gif (42134 bytes)


William H. Morris was born in New York City on April 22, 1826. He was graduated at the U.S. Military Academy, served three years in the army, but then resigned his commission and served as assistant editor of the New York Home Journal. On Aug. 20, 1861, he joined the volunteer army as Captain and Assistant Adjutant-General. He served in the defenses of Washington and with the Army of the Potomac during the Peninsular campaign, taking part in the battles of Yorktown, Williamsburg and Fair Oaks. He resigned his staff position on September 1, 1862, and the next day became Colonel of the 6th New York Heavy Artillery.

He was promoted Brigadier-General of volunteers November 29, 1862 and took part in the defense of Maryland Heights and Harper's Ferry in that year. At Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863, he commanded the 6th Artillery held in reserve. He took
part in the action at Wapping Heights, and the Rapidan campaign, where he commanded the 1st brigade, 3rd division, 6th Army Corps. He also took part in the action at Locust Grove on November 29, 1863. He participated in the battles of
the Wilderness and Spotsylvania, where he commanded the 6th Army Corps part of the time and was severely wounded. He was on sick-leave in May and June of 1864, and then served on Courts-Marital. On August 24, 1865 he was mustered
out of the service. He was brevetted Major-General of volunteers on March 13, 1865, for gallant and meritorious services in the battle of the Wilderness.
After the war, General Morris retired to his estate, the family home at Underfliff in Cold Spring, Putnam County, NY. He was a member of the New York State Constitutional Convention in 1869 and was the author of works on military
tactics as well as the inventor of a conical repeating carbine.
General William H. Morris died at Long Branch, NJ on August 26, 1900.

The Admiral Worden Camp 150 , SUVCW, began a project to have the Morris family crypt restored to its original appearance, and the dignity which General Morris deserves. A few samples of the ornate metal work have survived and will be replicated to replace the fencing atop the crypt. Stone masons have already repaired the damaged walls. The residents of the Town of Cold Spring, and their elected government officials, were of great assistance with this project, generously contributing the thousands of dollars which were required.

Crypt Old.jpg (45727 bytes)

The Morris Family Crypt 1800s
Cold Spring, NY

Matt at Crypt.jpg (70337 bytes)

The Morris Family Crypt in 2006
Cold Spring, NY

North Side.jpg (49849 bytes)

South Side.jpg (51462 bytes)

Top.jpg (48331 bytes)



The Completely Restored Morris Crypt
Mountainview Cemetery
Cold Spring, NY


The Completely Restored Morris Crypt
Mountainview Cemetery
Cold Spring, NY




Crypt Interior.JPG (28516 bytes)

Diagram showing the interior
of the Morris family crypt


hr.gif (1635 bytes)


Return to Admiral Worden Camp 150 Home Page

Return to Department of New York Home Page

icon.gif (404 bytes)Return to SUVCW Home Page
Return to SUVCW Web Site Index
Return to SUVCW List of  Departments