Department Order #3
- At the May 3, 2014, 131st New York Department Encampment, SUVCW held in Rochester, NY, a resolution was passed by the membership: "a special committee be formed pursuant to Article X Committees, Section 3 of the By-laws of the Department of New York to appoint a Chairman by the Department Commander a “The Rally Round the Flags Committee”. The purpose of the committee is for the preservation of the New York State flag collection. The committee shall make a report including recommendations and suggestions to the 132nd NY Department Encampment.
- It was further resolved at the Encampment "that a special 5 year committee be created “The Rally Round the Flags Committee” to bring together jointly all the State Camps of the Son’s of Union Veterans of the Civil War for the purpose of initiating a writing and lobbying campaign to reinstate funding for the New York State Battle Flag Preservation Project. That State funding shall be allocated on an annual basis until the flag collection has completely been conserved and archived. Said committee shall be responsible for bring all the State Camps of the Department of New York, Son’s of Union Veterans of the Civil War to Albany for the purpose of lobbying in both the Senate and Assembly of the New York State Legislature. The goal of this committee shall be to see this endeavor of the preservation of the flag collection through to its fruition".
- A copy of “The Rally Round the Flags Committee” resolution shall be posted on the Department website. (Click here to read the resolution.)
- Pursuant to the resolution I have appointed Brother Richard Straight as chairman of the Special Committee known as “The Rally Round the Flags Committee”. I also appoint Brothers Vincent M. Jockimo and Leo McGuire to work on the flag committee.
- The Committee shall present their findings and recommendations at the 132nd NY Department Encampment.
Return to Department of New York Department Orders Page
Return to Department of New York Website Index
Return to Department of New York Home Page
Last updated 16-Jul-2014