Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR
NATIONAL ENCAMPMENT SITE COMMITTEE
The purpose of the National Encampment Site Committee of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War is to select the encampment site for the National Encampment and to arrange for sufficient room accommodations, costs, concessions, complimentary rooms and necessities for a comfortable encampment.
The activities of the National Encampment Site Committee should include the responsibilities listed below.
- Compile and periodically update a list of physical and equipment requirements needed by a hotel to host a National Encampment.
- Compile and periodically update a list of normal customs observed and amenities provided pursuant to past practices of the Order and the other Allied Orders of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.).
- Compile and periodically update a list of material, supplies and equipment (such as badges, Encampment Programs, Camp Fire Program, music, pianos, flowers, etc.) which are normally expected to be present or required at National Encampments.
- Prepare and periodically update diagrams of Opening Ceremony, Meeting, Banquet, Courtesy Night, Campfire and Memorial Program room setups pursuant to the requirements of the Order and the other Allied Orders of the G.A.R.
- Prepare and periodically update a list of responsibilities normally expected to be fulfilled by the Local Host Committee.
- Solicit Departments 3 years or more in advance to consider hosting a National Encampment and provide a list of responsibilities normally accepted by a Host Committee.
- Evaluate, in concert with representatives from the other Allied Orders, all official invitations issued by Departments as to the feasibility of that Department to host a National Encampment and make recommendation for selection 3 years in advance to the National Council of Administration and National Encampment.
- Locate and evaluate alternate host cities and facilities in the event that no Department offers to host or a selected Department cannot hold the National Encampment and make recommendation for selection to the National Council of Administration.
- Negotiate with the selected Encampment hotel such complimentary meeting rooms, suites for National officers and other concessions normally provided pursuant to past practices of the Order and the other Allied Orders of the G.A.R.
- Sign all contracts, on behalf of the Order, with the Encampment hotel and other businesses necessary to fix the Encampment site and provide copies of all contracts to the National Secretary.
- Provide regular status reports to the Commander-in-Chief and National Council of Administration.
- Prepare and submit an annual written report to the Commander-in-Chief and National Encampment.
Return to SUVCW Home Page
Return to SUVCW Web Site Index
Return to list of National Jobs
Go to list of National Officers