Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR
NATIONAL COMMITTEE ON HISTORY
The purpose of the National Committee on History, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) is to identify and preserve historical and biographical material pertaining to the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), SUVCW, and their respective memberships.
The activities of the National Committee on History should include the responsibilities listed below.
- Collect, organize, catalog and ensure the preservation of historical records and holdings of the National Organization which pertain to the Civil War, GAR and the SUVCW.
- Identify and inventory the historical records and holdings in the possession of National Organization officers.
- Obtain annually a listing or index of the GAR and the SUVCW historical property, records and holdings in the possession of the federal government.
- Ascertain annually the condition of the GAR and SUVCW historical property, records and holdings in the possession of the federal government.
- Provide research assistance and/or access to the Order's historical holdings to Brothers of the Order and, upon approval by the Commander-in-Chief, to individuals and organizations outside of the Order.
- Encourage Department, Camp-at-Large and Camp Historians to identify, inventory or catalog (where possible), to help locate and ensure the preservation of all state and local collections of Civil War memorabilia, and GAR and SUVCW historical records and holdings.
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned by the National Encampment or the Commander-in-Chief.
- Provide regular status reports to the Commander-in-Chief and National Council of Administration.
- Prepare and submit an annual written report to the Commander-in-Chief and National Encampment on the activities of the committee.
- Last Updated 1994
Return to SUVCW Home Page
Return to SUVCW Web Site Index
Return to list of National Jobs
Go to list of National Officers