In 1886, several Companions of MOLLUS began the formation of a Civil War Library and Museum to serve as a repository for their records, relics, memorabilia, souvenirs, artifacts and awards. A charter and Certificate of Incorporation were granted on May 2, 1888 for the War Library and Museum of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Companion Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, was it first President. The collection was kept in various locations in Philadelphia until a house was purchased at 1805 Pine Street in 1922 to house the collection and to serve as the MOLLUS Headquarters. The collection is the result of over a century of acquisition an and conservation of a full range of artifacts. documentary material, books and memorabilia of the Civil War. The Library and Museum is now administered by an independent Board. Additonal information on the library may be obtained by writing to the Civil War Library and Museum, (1805 Pine Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103).
Return to MOLLUS Home Page
Return to MOLLUS Web Site Index Page