of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Department of Michigan
Curtenius Guard Camp #17
HOW TO JOIN THE
SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR
Membership Requirements and Applying for Membership
Hereditary Membership - Member (and Junior): A male descendant, 14 years of age (6 to 14 for Juniors), who is:
1. Directly descended (e.g., grandson, great grandson, etc.) from or collaterally descended (e.g., grandnephew, great grandnephew, etc.) from a brother, sister, half brother, or half sister of a Soldier, Sailor, Marine or member of the Revenue Cutter Service who was regularly mustered and served honorably in, was honorably discharged from, or died in the service of, the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Revenue Cutter Service of the United States of America or in such state regiments called to active service and was subject to the orders of United States general officers, between April 12, 1861 and April 9, 1865;
2. Has never been convicted of any infamous or heinous crime; and
3. Has, or whose ancestor through whom membership is claimed has, never voluntarily borne arms against the government of the United States.
Non Hereditary Membship - Associate: A male descendant, 14 years of age who does not have the above ancestry to qualify for hereditary membership may become Associates but can meet membership requirements #2 and #3 above.
An Associate may vote and hold any office in the Camp, Department or National Organizations except those of Commander-in-Chief, Senior Vice Commander-in-Chief, Junior Vice Commander-in-Chief, National Secretary, National Treasurer, and Commanding Officer of the Sons of Veterans Reserve. Associates may not exceed one-third of the total membership of the Camp at the time of election.
Applying for Membership
A copy of our application and instructions can be downloaded by accessing the following link: Application
Before you apply,
1. Make sure you read and understand our eligibility requirements (above),
2. Ensure that you to have the correct documentation that shows your ancestor's proof of service. If you do not have documentation available, you may still join as an Associate and change your status once you have complete documentation, and
3. Make certain that your application is complete and that the appropriate fees (application fee - $15.00 and annual dues - $41.00) and documentation are supplied.
The completed application, documentation, and appropriate fees may be sent to:
Brian Shumway, PCC
Junior Vice Camp Commander
127 W. Walnut
Hastings, Michigan 49058-2260
Should have questions, please contact the Junior Vice Camp Commander at: