General Orders No. 25
Kent L. Armstrong, Commander-in-Chief
213 E. Madison Street / P.O. Box 618
DeWitt, MI 48820-0618
(517) 669-5765 = Voice
(517) 669-1865 = Fax
- A question has been asked concerning Life Membership and payment of National per capita for the Life Member, when that Brother has membership in more than one Camp of the Order.
- Dual membership has been allowed for a short time now, as recorded in National Regulations, Chapter I, Article II, Section 6: "Applicants who are Brothers of the Order in another Camp or a Member-at-Large may become a Dual Member of another Camp. The applicant need not pay the application fee, however, is subject to the full per capita assessment in both Camps."
- Those Brothers who have applied for Life Membership and paid the appropriate fee, are exempt from National per capita assessment. See National Constitution, Article VII, Section 1(b) Life Members: "Members who have paid the requisite Life Membership fee as established by the National Organization. Life Members are exempt from National per capita and otherwise, enjoy all the rights, privileges and responsibilities of membership."
- There are two Life Member programs where the National Organization shall reimburse a Camp various amounts, but such reimbursement is limited to one Camp only, at the designation of the Brother. See National Regulations, Chapter III, Article VI, Section 3.
- Our Constitution in Article VII, Section 1(b), makes no distinction between those Brothers who are in one Camp and those Brothers who are members of multiple Camps. The Constitution says that Life Members are exempt from the National per capita tax.
- Therefore, it is the formal opinion of the National Counselor, and affirmed by this CinC, that Life Members are exempt from all National per capita, regardless of the number of Camps that they maintain membership in.
This ruling to take effect, this 9th day of August, 2004.
By Order of:
Kent L. Armstrong
Edward Krieser, PCinC
Return to Index of General Orders