1. On behalf of the National Order may each and every Brother and Sister in all of the Allied Orders and their families have a happy and safe Holiday Season. May the year 2002 be prosperous, productive and fraternal throughout the Organization.
2. The 45th Annual Remembrance Day activities were held at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on 17 November 2001. The parade returned to its old format with all Union troops marching together followed by all of the Confederate troops. The Combined Service at the High Water Mark was followed by the annual SVR ceremony at the Woolson Memorial and both ceremonies were well attended. A special thank you and congratulations are extended to the Remembrance Day Committee for another job well done. Thank you to the Gettysburg merchants for once again covering the cost of the parade permit.
3. The G.A.R. Memorial Scholarship Applications can be obtained by computer from our web site (http://suvcw.org). Completed forms are to be sent to this office. All applications received will be forwarded to the Scholarship Committee. Please keep in mind that we award two $1000 scholarships each year.
4. Brother Don Denison has resigned his position as National Camp and Department Organizer. I want to thank him for his service to our Order.
5. I am pleased to announce the appointment of PDC Gary Gibson as the new National Camp and Department Organizer. Brother Gary has served our Order in many capacities in the past, including as a member of the Council of Administration.
6. Departments desiring the attendance of the Commandery-in-Chief at their encampment or a special event are encouraged to submit invitations as soon as possible. Conflicting dates do occur and invitations will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
7. We have a new National Executive Director. He is Brother Lee Walters, P.O. Box 1865, Harrisburg, PA 17105, (717) 766-6341 LEESUVPCC@msn.com. Brother Walters will be setting up the office at the National Headquarters located in the new National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, PA. As Brother Walters gets the National Headquarters up and running all correspondence and reports are to continue to be directed to the National Secretary, PCinC Ed Krieser. All January quarterly reports are to be sent to the National Secretary.
8. All Camp and Department Secretaries are reminded that a full and complete roster is required to be submitted with the January reports. This roster is to include the current Name, Address, Phone Number and Email address for each brother and are to be submitted as a typed or computer generated report. Hand written reports that are illegible will be deemed as a non submission. Any camp or Department that fails to submit the required roster will be submitting an incomplete report and will NOT be in good standing. This means that your delegations will NOT be seated at your Department Encampment or the National Encampment until the rosters have been received.
9. Last year the National Organization in an attempt to provide a Remembrance Day event for the brothers who are unable to attend the November event in Gettysburg commissioned the SVR to create an event in the central part of the country. The Seventh Military District Commander Major Frank Harned and his committee designated the burial of the unknown soldier in Chattanooga as this event. Brother Harned is working on this years event which will take place on Saturday, April 27, 2002. Details will be forth coming. Please put this date on your calendars and plan to attend.
10. Brothers are reminded to support the National Patriotic Instructor's Fund, Senior Vice Commander-in-Chief's Fund, the National Headquarters Fund and the Permanent Fund. 11. As the events of September 11 are burned into our National psyche let us keep the memory of these victims and the heroes who are today fighting the cowards responsible for the attacks fresh in our hearts and prayers.
11. Deepest sympathies are extended to all Brothers and Sisters who lost a loved one, are ill or are suffering in any manner.
By Order of:
George L. Powell
Edward Krieser, PCinC