1. On behalf of the National Order may each and every Brother and their families have enjoyed a safe and Happy New Year. May the year 2001 be prosperous, productive and fraternal throughout the Organization.
2. The 44th Annual Remembrance Day activities were held at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on 18 November 2000. The new parade and program format was well attended. A special thank you and congratulations are extended to the Remembrance Day Committee for another job well done. Thank you to the Gettysburg merchants for covering the cost of the parade permit.
3. The G.A.R. Memorial Scholarship Applications can be gotten by computer on the Internet Sons Webpage or by request to this office. Completed forms are to be sent to this office. All applications received will be forwarded to the Scholarship Committee. Please keep in mind that we only award two scholarships.
4. Brothers are reminded to support the National Patriotic Instructor's Fund, Senior Vice Commander-in-Chief's Fund, the National Headquarters Fund and the Permanent Fund.
5. Deepest sympathies are extended to all Brothers and Sisters who lost a loved one, are ill or are suffering in any manner.
6. The Meritorious Service Award with Gold Star was awarded to Brother Dennis Kelly of the Department of Illinois for his endless effort to pursue and retrieve the missing cannon tubes from the G.A.R. Memorial Monument in cemetery at Peoria, Illinois. A beautiful ceremony was held there on Veterans Day 11 November 2000 to rededicate the returned cannon tubes and commemorate the sacrifices of Americans who served.
7. Departments desiring the attendance of the Commandery-in-Chief at their encampment or a special event are encouraged to submit invitations as soon as possible. Conflicting dates do occur and invitations will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
8. We have a new National Executive Director. He is Brother Timothy J. Schaible, P.O. Box 1865, Harrisburg, PA 17105, (717) 832-2872 TJSCHAIBLE@worldnet.att.com
Brother Schaible will be setting up office at the National Headquarters when it opens.
By Order of:
Edward J. Krieser
Todd A. Shillington