General Orders No. 1
Stephen A. Michaels, Commander-in-Chief
6623 S. North Cape Road
Franklin, WI 53132-1227
Phone and fax: (414) 425-4648
- It's both a privilege and an honor to be elected your Commander-in-Chief. My sincerest appreciation to the delegates at the 123rd National Encampment in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for their vote of support. I look forward to an exciting and productive year ... there is much to be done. All correspondence requiring the attention of the Commander-in-Chief should be sent to the above address.
- I wish to thank the Department of Iowa for its hospitality, during our convention. The Credentials Committee is to be complemented too for its difficult work.
- On behalf of the Order, I extend congratulations to the new Presidents of the Allied Orders:
- - President Michelle Langley, Auxiliary to the SUVCW
- - President Margaret Lauth, Woman's Relief Corps
- - President Lynn Bury, Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic
- - President Orabella "Ozzie" Thompson, Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War
I look forward to working with each of you in preserving and perpetuating the memory of the GAR.
- All business correspondence should be directed to the National Executive Director, Lee F. Walters, P.O. Box 1865, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1865 (SUVEXDIR@aol.com)
- All supply requisitions with payment are to be sent to our National Quartermaster -- PCinC Danny Wheeler, 501 Willow Ave., Ithaca, NY 14850.
- All billing, requests for payment, and tax deductible donations to various funds of our National Organization are to be sent to the National Treasurer -- PCC Max Newman, 4995 E. Wilkinson Rd., Owosso, MI 48867-9616.
- All purchase requests for the SUVCW's Eagle Scout Certificate are to be sent with payment to our National Quartermaster -- PCinC Danny Wheeler, 501 Willow Ave., Ithaca, NY 14850.
- All purchase requests for the SUVCW ROTC award are to be sent with payment to our National Patriotic Instructor -- PDC Bruce B. Butgereit, 1691 Summerfield Street, Kentwood, MI 49508-6499.
- All Civil War Memorial grant requests are to be sent to the senior elected member of our National Council of Administration -- PDC Robert Petrovic (address listed above).
- The deaths of Brothers are to be reported to our National Chaplain, Jerry W. Kowalski, 206 E. Grantley, Elmhurst, IL 60126 (PapTom@msn.com). Please include deceased's name, death date, Camp and Department name.
- A roster of all elected and appointed national officers and committee members for the 2004-2005 administrative year can be found on the National website.
- Timely reporting continues to be an issue. Please consult the instructions on each reporting form. Late reporting often translates to a loss of benefits to our membership.
- My itinerary for 2004-2005 is filling quickly. I will visit as many Department Encampments and other events as are possible. Please send details of same as soon as they are available.
- This year's Remembrance Day event will take place in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on Saturday, November 20th. All members of the Council of Administration (CofA) are reminded that we will meet at 8am on Sunday, November 21st, in the Eisenhower Inn.
- The public observance of Memorial Day 2005 will occur on May 30th. In anticipation, I encourage all brothers to contact their Congress, regarding the permanent return of this holiday to May 30th.
- We, as an Order, are limited only by our imagination and our size. Membership growth should be a goal that every Camp and Department sets annually. Those brothers who accept the challenge and distinguish themselves by recruiting new members will be recognized appropriately.
- Our volunteer members are our most valuable asset. Productive, regular meetings and relevant, well-planned activities are the key to recruiting and retention in any volunteer organization. Our Camps and Departments are only able to serve the GAR's memory after first serving our membership.
- We are each charged with an important responsibility ... honoring the memory of those, who sacrificed so much. I implore all to answer the call. Together, let us continue to build a living memorial to the Union Soldiers and Sailors of 1861-1865.
Ordered this 22nd day of August, 2004.
By Order of:
Stephen A. Michaels
Michael S. Bennett, PDC
Return to Index of General Orders