1. Having been elected and installed Commander-in-Chief by the assembled delegates at the 121st National Encampment at Springfield, Illinois on August 10, 2002, command is hereby assumed and headquarters established at the above address and all correspondence requiring the attention of the Commander-in-Chief should be sent to this address.
2. Department Secretaries are reminded that all Quarterly Reports for the calendar year 2002 and the new Annual Report form and the new Camp Status Report form for the year 2003 should be sent to the National Executive Director, Lee Walters, P. O. Box 1865, Harrisburg, PA 17105
3. All supply requisitions with payment are to be sent to: Elmer F. Atkinson, PCinC, National Quartermaster, 1016 Gorman St. Philadelphia, PA 19116.
4. All bills and requests for payment are to be sent to the National Treasurer, Max Newman, 4995 E. Wilkinson Rd., Owosso, MI 48867-9616
5. All request for Eagle Scout Certificates should be sent to the Eagle Scout Certificate Coordinator, Robert Petrovic, PDC, 4729 Mehl Ave., St. Louis, MO 63129-16261.
6. The death of any member of our Order should be reported to the National Chaplain, The Honorable Henry E. Shaw, Jr., Esq., 27 Griswold Street, Delaware, OH 43015-1716.
7. My sincere thanks and appreciation are extended to all those who elected me to serve as your Commander-in-Chief. I will do my best to merit the confidence you have expressed in my ability to lead this great organization.
8. A special "thank you" goes to the host committee and the Department of Illinois for providing the delegates to the 121st National Encampment a most enjoyable and productive encampment.
9. The Constitution and Regulations of our Order are the corner stone on which our organization operates. All officers and members should read and become familiar with the C & R. A copy of these documents are available from the National Quartermaster or they can be downloaded from our website: SUVCW.org.
10. We will continue our efforts at graves registration and grave marking, Civil War memorial registration and restoration, locating G.A.R. and SUVCW records, participating in commemorative events and celebrating the deeds of the Boys in Blue. The G.A.R. Post Records Committee will continue to catalog the location of the various G.A.R. Post records. Our goal is to compile a list of the record locations so that we can direct inquires to the proper place.
11. It is my intention to visit with as many Brothers as possible during the upcoming year. Please extend your invitations for your encampments, meetings and ceremonies as early as possible to assist me in making my itinerary. Please do not wait until all arrangements have been finalized before sending your invitation. The sooner I learn of an event the easier it is for me to add it to my schedule.
12. The Remembrance Day Parade and Ceremonies at Gettysburg are designed as a means of remembering the G.A.R. and paying homage to its members. Brothers are encouraged to attend this event on November 16, 2002.
13. All members of the Council of Administration are advised there will be a meeting of the Council at 8:00 A.M., Sunday November 17, 2002 at the Eisenhower Inn, Gettysburg, PA.
14. On behalf of the Order, I would like to extend congratulations to the new National Presidents of the Allied Orders of the G.A.R.; the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, the Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic, the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865, and the Woman's Relief Corps. I ask that all members extend the hand of Fraternity, Charity and Loyalty to the members of our Allied Orders.
15. Appointments of most non-elected National Officers, Standing Committees, Special Committees, and National Aides have been made. These officers and committees may be found on our National Web Site (http://suvcw.org).
16. Do your part to restore Memorial Day to May 30th. This is a special day for members of our Order and we should not allow it to simply become part of a three day week-end.
17. Department and Camp Secretaries should take notice of the $6.00 annual increase in per capita tax enacted by the 121st National Encampment of the SUVCW. This increase becomes effective January 1, 2003. They should also take notice of the change from a Quarterly to an Annual Reporting period effective for the calendar year 2003.
18. The duties of the National Membership List Coordinator have been transferred to the National Executive Director. The position of National Membership List Coordinator has been eliminated.
19. All Departments who have not already done so this year are to send current rosters to the National Executive Director.
Ordered this twelfth day of August, 2002.
By Order of:
Robert E. Grim
Edward Krieser, PCinC