Grand Army of the Republic
The Hon. Alfred Edwin Stacey was a native of Elbridge, New York. He was born January 20, 1846, and through all his life has been a citizen of this town. Not only has he been a citizen in the ordinary sense of the word, he was been active, energetic, straightforward, and always identified with the town's best interests. He was on of a family of seven children, all of whom were read in Elbridge and all remained in the county except James, who sent in 1867 to Missouri. As a school boy Alfred E. was educated in the Munro Collegiate Institute, under the instruction of Prof. T.K. Wright, one of the foremost educators of the country. Upon quitting school at 16 years of age he accepted a clerkship with A. Wood and Sons, general merchants in Elbridge. After a service of two years in that capacity he resigned and enlisted as a soldier in the 9th New York Heavy Artillery, serving till the close of the war. He was the youngest member of his company and in point of size probably the smallest. As he then weighed only 106 pounds. Three of his brothers were also his comrades in the Civil War, Anthony in the 19th New York Infantry, afterwards changed to the 3rd Light Artillery; after serving his term of enlistment and being honorably discharged, he reenlisted in Battery L, 9th New York Heavy Artillery and James in the 15th New York Engineers. Alfred, Anthony and George were with Sheridan at Cedar Creek and afterwards with General Grant at Petersburg and Appomattox. As a result of this service at Cedar Creek Mr. Stacey received two wounds.
After his discharge from the army in 1865 he returned home to Elbridge and again entered the Munro Collegiate Institute and afterward engaged as clerk till 1869. At the time he formed a copartnership with Mrs. B.A. Wood and they purchased the stock and interest of A. Wood and Sons and entered into business under the firm name of A.E. Stacey and Co., this firm conducting the business until 1872. Mr. Stacey then carried it on till 1884. In the meantime (in 1881) Mr. Stacey bought the Row chair factory at Elbridge and carried on the manufacture of that line of goods. In 1884 he bought and consolidate with this the Sweet chair factory. So successful had he been in this industry the old quarters became inadequate, therefor in 1888 he built the large and commodious structure which he now occupies for his factory and woodworking business. Besides this he bought in 1886 the large flouring mill and water power of Mrs. James Munro, and has now one of the most modern and best equipped mils in this section of the state. Energy and good business ability have for Mr. Stacey success in a large degree.
He was a son of Richard and Agnes Pierce Stacey, who came from Somersetshire, England and settled in Elbridge in 1834. They were industrious and respected members of the community in which they lived many years, contributing to its thrift and progress as well as to its social and religious advancement. Mrs. Stacey died in 1863 and his wife surviving until 1875.
While Alfred E. Stacey has been active and successful in building up and conducting his business affairs he has also given much valuable time and service in the interest of public affairs. Every plan that has been on foot for the betterment of the town and county has found him in hearty sympathy with its advancement. As a result of his energy and regard for the best interests of Elbridge, Mr. Stacey has built up the industries of the village, not only increasing those of his own, but by inducing other manufactories to locate at that place.
In politics Mr. Stacey has always been an earnest, active Republican, always zealous int its interest and ever faithful to the trusts that the party has imposed in him. He has been honored at home by having been chosen president of the village, as well as its clerk for several terms. He has been its postmaster and was instrumental during his term of introducing the money order system and increasing its mail service, thereby more than doubling the receipts of the office. Few state or county conventions have been held in recent years that he was not chosen to represent his town as delegate therein. In 1886 he was elected to represent the 2nd Onondaga District in the Assembly and was reelected in 1887 by a majority nearly 600 over Hon. W.B. Kirk, after one of the hardest contest on the part his opponent that was ever waged in the district. During his service as member he was successful in securing the passage of the laws which removed the necessity of indigent soldiers or sailors of the Civil War applying to the poormaster for aid or being confined in the poorhouses of the State. This equitable and just law is still in for in New York State.
Mr. Stacey was in the Assembly at the time Frank Hiscock was elected United State Senator, and, like Grant's famous 306, he was one of the eleven who stood firm and unwavering till it resulted in this candidate's election. He served on the Committee of Railroads and was also chairman of the Committee of Charitable and Religious Societies.
The Anthony Post, G. A. R., named in honor of his brother, was organized through Mr. Stacey's efforts, and its was through his influence it was located in Elbridge. Mr. Stacey has taken a deep interest in this organization, and has attended all its conventions. He is also a prominent member of the Odd Fellows, in which lodge he was occupied all the chairs; he been its Noble Grand and elected to represent the lodge in the State convention.
Mr. Stacey's first wife was Ellen, daughter of David Gorham, by whom he had three children, Mable C., Maude E., and one son who died in infancy. Mrs. Stacey died in 1881. In 1883 Mr. Stacey married for his second wife, Jessie, daughter of S.B. Rowe of Camillus. They had one son, Alfred Edwin.
Lorraine Orton, Past Department President
Woman's Relief Corps, Aux. to GAR
Camillus, New York